Hayden Island was first known for the Jantzen Beach Amusement Park, which operated from 1928 to 1970. The Amusement Park closed in 1970 and was replaced by a large shopping center, the Jantzen Beach Mall. A $50 million renovation to the shopping center finished in 2013.
Today, Jantzen Beach is now something of a misnomer, since Jantzen Swimwear and their Amusement Park departed and currently Hayden Island has no public beach. Many people passing through on I-5, don’t even realize it IS an island. A 15 foot berm surrounds most of the island to prevent flooding from the Columbia River.
Once separate islands, today Tomahawk Island and Hayden Island have merged into one island through landfill and dredging. Tomahawk Island, on the east side of Interstate 5, now features condos, hotels, houseboats, marinas, boat dealers, nautical supply shops and a large Safeway.
Hayden Island, on the west side of Interstate 5, features the Jantzen Beach SuperCenter, manufactured home communities, houseboats, a business park and a large auto auction center.
BKM Capital Partners bought most of the Hayden Island Business Park in 2014 for $5.9 million then sold it in 2016. The 98,500-square-foot property, which includes four buildings, with twenty-four tenants having space at the park, about a quarter of which is office space.
Due to the park’s proximity to a nearby the Manheim Auto auction, about 60 percent of the tenants of the business park are auto-related. Oregon does not have state sales tax, so the Manheim Auto Auction has a large draw from auto dealers in both Seattle and Portland.
West Hayden Island, on the far west side of the island, consists of some 800 acres of undeveloped land. The property is owned by the Port of Portland, which hoped to locate a new port facility there. Boaters have access to the best beach on Hayden Island, just west of the railroad bridge.
On the opposite end of the island, on the far East Side sits Yacht Harbor Apartments and Salpare Bay, the newest development on the island. Once a condominium project launched just before the 2008 recession, it became Yacht Harbor Apartments (map), one of the nicest high-end residences on the island. It has its own sandy beach on the Columbia.
Most of the residences on the (east) side of the island require keylock entry while virtually none (east or west) have beach access.
The Columbia Corridor is the single largest industrial area in the state of Oregon, covering 28 square miles. It stretches over 18 miles along the Columbia River from the Rivergate Industrial District to the Troutdale Industrial District. Five marine terminals support regional shipping imports and exports. The Columbia River is the #1 wheat export gateway in the United States.
Unionized grain handlers are going back to work at Northwest grain terminals including United Grain in Vancouver, Columbia Grain, at Portland’s terminal 5, Louis Dreyfus Commodities north of the Steel Bridge, and Temco, north of the Broadway Bridge.
Some 2,200 residents call Hayden Island home.
Hayden Island Businesses
- Jantzen Beach Center
- Barrett Business Services
- HAYDEN ISLAND COMMERCE CENTER
- Hayden Island Business Park
- Jantzen Beach Moorage
- Jantzen Beach Moorage – the unofficial owners site
- Schooner Creek Boat Works
- Manheim Auto Auction
- Hayden Island Business Park
- Huggy Bear’s Cupboard
- Hayden Island West Floating Home Moorage
- Hayden Island Manufactured Home Community Association
- Hayden Island Housing Data
- Holiday Inn Express
12221 N Westshore Dr. (503) 810-8382
2700-2786 N HAYDEN ISLAND DRIVE (503) 223-4777
2400-2700 N. Hayden Island Drive (949) 566-8800
South of JB Center on North Portland slough
3255 N. Hayden Is Dr (503) 735-0569
3000 N Hayden Island Dr (503) 286-3000
430 N Lotus Isle Dr. (503) 286-4062
2300 N Hayden Island Dr (503) 283-8000
Tomahawk Island Businesses
- Alder Creek Kayak
- Columbia River Stern-wheeler Cruises
- Columbia River Yacht Club
- Columbia Waterworks pressure washing boats, floating homes, and floating docks.
- McCuddy’s Hayden Island Moorage
- Tomahawk Bay Marina
- Tomahawk Island Marina
- Salpare Marina
- Erf Weather
- Island Cafe
- Norma’s Kitchen
- State Line Liquor Store
- Oxford Suites
- Red Lion on the River
- Charlotte Marine
- Sundance Yachts Sales
- Yacht Spot
200 NE Tomahawk Isl Dr (503) 285.0464
909 N. Hayden Island Drive 1-800-460-4518
37 NE Tomahawk Island Dr. (503) 289-6561
2915 NE Marine Drive (503) 289-7879
515 NE Tomahawk Island Dr. 503-283-2444.
300 NE Tomahawk Island Dr. (503) 289-5511
11505 NE Yacht Harbor Drive (503) 972-9671
700 N Hayden Island Dr. (503) 285-1349
250 N. Tomahawk Island Dr. 503.283.0362
12010 N. Jantzen Drive; 503-240-3447
11875 N. Jantzen Dr. 503-735-9464
1190 N Jantzen Ave (503) 283-2907
12226 N. Jantzen Drive (503) 283.3030
909 N Hayden Island Dr. 1-866-257-5990
303 NE Tomahawk Island Dr (503) 289-1855
570 NE Tomahawk Island Dr. (503) 283-3216
11874 N Jantzen Dr. (503) 283-1799
- Columbia River Economic Development Council
- Hayden Island Business Alliance
- Jantzen Beach Center
- Hayden Island Portland Maps
- North Portland Neighborhood Services
- Hayden Island Neighborhood Network (HINOON) documents
- Hayden Island manufactured Home Owners Association
- Hayden Island Plan 2009 (pdf)
- Portland Office of Neighborhood Involvement
- DEPARTMENT OF STATE LANDS: SUBMERGED AND SUBMERSIBLE LAND LEASE
- Waterfront Organizations Of Oregon
Hayden Island Community
- Hayden Island – Wikipedia
- Oregon Live: Hayden Island
- Vancouver Columbian: Hayden Island
- Twitter: #HaydenIsland
- Columbia River Crossing
- Hayden Island Neighborhood Network
- Hayden Island Community Network
- Port’s West Hayden Island Plan
- Hayden Island Livability Project
- Save West Hayden Island
- Stop Lottery Row
- Audubon: Hayden Island
- Audubon Blog on Hayden Island Annexation
- Oregonian: West Hayden Island Development
Hayden Island Services